Fiber – coupled LED modules and their applications
LED – chips, but also other optoelectronic components such as photodiodes, are coupled to optical fibers of different types for various reasons:
- for data transmission on optical fiber,
- for illumination of very small areas for senor applications,
- for homogenization of the light power emitted by the LED,
- as a basic element for the production of active 1 x X couplers for coupling several wavelengths in one optical fiber,
- for fiber – optic energy transmission.
- the size of the LED chip,
- the diameter and the numerical aperture of the fiber to be coupled and
- the requirements on the efficiency of the coupled optical power to the expended electrical power
different coupling methods are reasonable. On the following pages we show some typical and frequently requested fiber coupled LED modules.